Sun Salutations / Surya Namaskar for Pregnancy
Avid yogis may be familiar with sun salutations (classical, A and B).
Here is a safe way to practice the classical sun salutations during your pregnancy.
Steps for Sun Salutations
- Begin with feet hip distance or wider apart.
- Inhale and exhale bring the palms together at heart centre.
- Inhale, extend the arms up overhead or keep the palms supporting the lower back, arching slightly.
- Exhale, fold forward bringing the palms or finger tips onto the floor.
- Inhale and step back with the right foot.
- Exhale step the left leg back, coming onto all fours – tabletop position.
- Push back onto the heels coming into child’s pose.
- Inhale and return to table top, round and arch the back (cat/cow).
- Exhale, tuck the toes under and push the hips up to inverted V or downward dog.
- Inhale either come to table top or from downward dog, step the left foot on the inside of the palms, lowering the right knee to the floor.
- Exhale step the right foot forward, palms on the inside.
- Inhale slowly, lift arms up overhead or place the palms on the lower back and arch back.
- Exhale draw palms to heart centre and repeat on the left leg.
Complete 1-3 rounds depending on your energy levels that day. Rest as you need to, staying longer in child’s pose.