8 Reasons to Try Acupuncture for Birth Preparation and Labour Induction
Guest Blogger, Dr. Caleigh Sumner N.D.
Once you have reached your 35th week of pregnancy, you are officially ready to start preparing your body for birth with acupuncture. Acupuncture is a simple, non-invasive, and natural way to prepare your body for the birthing process, or to induce labour. Acupuncture for labour induction is performed if you have an induction date planned you are hoping not to need, or if you go past your expected due date. Different acupuncture points are used depending on the intended goals.
The best part about acupuncture is that there is nothing you have to do. You have a 20-minute nap and let the acupuncture needles do the work. Acupuncture is safe in pregnancy, throughout all three trimesters. The needles are as fine as a strand of hair and are not inserted past the skin. The needles are placed on the legs, hands, and sometimes the lower back. Typically, 8-10 needles are used.
Acupuncture for Pregnancy
Acupuncture is also effective for easing pregnancy- related symptoms, like: carpal tunnel, muscle cramps, nausea, swelling/ water retention, insomnia, sciatica, anxiety, constipation, haemorrhoids, indigestion, and the list goes on! Acupuncture provides so many benefits when your body is feeling less than your own at the end of pregnancy.
Starting at 35 weeks of pregnancy, acupuncture once a week has been proven to:
- Reduce the length of labour by 2-6 hours
- Improve the efficiency of uterine contractions (making them more purposeful)
- Reduce the need for interventions like medical induction and epidural
- Ripen the cervix and prepare the pelvic floor and muscles for labour
- Help manage end of pregnancy symptoms (carpal tunnel, haemorrhoids, insomnia etc.)
- Provide relaxation and mental calmness
- Turn a breech baby (in combination with moxa)
Once you have passed your due date, or are wanting to prevent medical induction, acupuncture has been proven to:
- Stimulate labour, ripen the cervix, and induce purposeful contractions
- And all of the other benefits listed above!
- Acupuncture for induction is performed daily for 3 days before your scheduled induction date OR every other day after you have passed your due date
About Dr. Sumner
My patients are always thrilled to hear that there are natural ways to prepare their body for birth. Acupuncture offers some pretty impressive benefits for pregnancy, and they are not too good to be true, you need to try them for yourself to know! If you are interested in learning more before getting started, I offer a complimentary 30-minute consultation.
My name is Dr. Caleigh Sumner, ND and I am a naturopathic doctor with a special focus and expertise in fertility and pregnancy. I practice in Etobicoke at the same location as Padma Yogi. For more information about me, and my services, please check out my website.